Best Wheelchair Pressure Relief Cushion Buying Guide 2023
With hundreds of wheelchair cushions on the market, you might be overwhelmed and asking yourself "which wheelchair cushion should I get?"
Just like you need shoes to protect your feet, you also need a wheelchair cushion to protect your buttocks especially if you will be sitting for long periods of time.
Not only will the cushion make it more comfortable to sit, but it can also encourage proper body positioning, assist with posture control and reduce the likelihood of pressure ulcers.
How to Choose Pressure Relief Cushion for Your Wheelchair?
When choosing a Wheelchair Cushion there are many factors you need to take into consideration such as the material it is made out of, whether positioning support is required, the dimensions of your wheelchair, and your budget.
Different Types of Wheelchair Cushions.
In general Pressure Relief Cushions can be categorised into one of five main categories such as Foam Cushions, Gel Cushions, Air Cushions, Honeycomb Cushions and Alternative Pressure cushions.
Foam Wheelchair Cushions.
Foam cushions are ideal if you need something affordable, lightweight and low maintenance, and don't require much pressure relief or positioning support.
Shop Foam Wheelchair Cushions.
Gel Wheelchair Cushions.
Air Wheelchair Cushions.
Honeycomb wheelchair cushions.
Alternating Pressure Cushions.
Positioning Support for Wheelchair Cushions.
If you have a complex medical condition that requires positioning support, the great news is there are many options available such as Contoured, Anti-Thrust, Wedge, Pommel, Sacral Cut Out, No Lean and Amputee.
- Contoured Wheelchair Cushions: Ideal if you have 'Posterior Pelvic Tilt' that cuases you to loow downward when seated.
- Anti-Thrust Wheelchair Cushions: Ideal if you have 'Anterior Pelvic Tilt' that causes you to look upward when seated.
- Wedge Wheelchair Cushions: Ideal if you slump forward and slide a bit when sitting down.
- Pommel Wheelchair Cushions: Ideal if you need to keep your knees from knocking together
- Sacral Cut Out Wheelchair Cushions: Also known as 'Coccyx Cushions' are ideal if you need pressure reduction on tailbone to prevent sores.
- No Lean Wheelchair Cushions: Ideal if you have 'Pelvic Olbiquity' and lean to one side when seated.
- Amputee Wheelchair Cushions: Ideal if you need to support left, right or bilateral amputation.
- Convoluted cushions: also known as egg crate cushions, are a type of cushion that is designed to provide support and comfort to the body.
- Lumbar cushions: are a type of cushion that is specifically designed to provide support and comfort to the lower back, also known as the lumbar region.
- Swivel cushions: are a type of cushion designed to provide comfort and support while sitting in a chair and designed to rotate in a circular motion, allowing the user to easily move from one position to another.
Things to Consider before Buying Pressure Relief Cushion for Wheelchair.
- Who will be using the wheelchair cushion?
- How big and how much do they weight?
- How will the cushion be used?
- How much pressure relief do is needed?
- Will the user be able to adjust positions by themselves?
- How much stability and support is needed?
- Does the user suffer from incontinence problems?
- What budget is available?
What are the Best Pressure Relief Cushions for Wheelchairs?
At Mobility Shop Direct we strive to sell only the very best wheelchair cushions on the market, and you can browse through our collection by clicking here.
If you are still struggling to find a Wheelchair Cushion to suit you needs feel free to call us on 1300 132 952, email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by filling out our contact form.